Oh daylight savings. I used to love you. Before kids. When I actually got that extra hour to use as I pleased. Wondering how to help your littles through the transition?
- Ignore the clock Sunday morning.
- Stick to their usual schedule, then, day by day, shift nap & bedtimes slowly.
- You can start now, you don’t have to wait until it is ‘official’.
- The younger the child, the more slowly you need to go–a baby just a few months old can tolerate a change of a few minutes a day (5-10). A toddler can usually handle 15 minute shifts, a preschooler 30 minutes or so, etc.
- If your child starts waking up earlier in the morning than usual, STOP. It means they are getting over-tired. Stay at the current times for a few days, then continue.
- Over the course of a week or two, you’ll get them adjusted to the new time.
- Have questions about this or any other sleep issues? Let’s connect! firstname.lastname@example.org or (360) 207-4708.